"Please excuse my dirty house, I know it is a mess. I don't have time to clean right now, I have a bluebird nest." - Cherie Layton

Sunday, January 7, 2018

It's a New Year!


Happy 2018 everyone! Sorry I've been absent the last part of 2017. There was so much going on...I started a new job, a kid off to college, my dad recovering from surgery, and of course...the holidays! I am so very thankful for the people in my life! I love my family & friends! I will admit that I have neglected my birds a little...but, it's a new year and my favorite time of year...I love the winter birds!  Their food sources are limited in the frigid temperatures so they rely more on us during the winter months. It's important to keep your feeders clean and full! Which is the topic of my first post of the year! 






I purchased this Lantern feeder at Lowes.
Highly recommend for attracting smaller birds
Speaking of feeders...I've added this new lantern feeder to my patio area and I love it! It's so easy to fill! The top lifts by sliding up which makes for easy filling and slides back down! It's so decorative and functional! I have noticed that mostly the smaller birds like it the best. Mostly, the finches and chickadees.  I think the edges may be too small for Cardinals.  It seems to be a tight squeeze from where they perch and where the food dispenses. I do like that it keeps the seed dry. By adding this to my yard, maybe the smaller birds will use this feeder and let the cardinals use the platform feeder. I always prefer to get feeders that are easy to fill and easy to clean! Simply clean your feeders using soap and water. Don't use any cleaners that will be harmful to the birds.




Speaking of seed...I've made a switch from my favorite Deluxe blend made by the National Audubon Society to their Signature Harvest Cherry blend.  So far, the birds are liking it. I just wanted to give them a change from what I've usually put out for them.  I intend on going back to the deluxe blend after this bag but I thought I would see if this new blend would attract any different types birds to my yard.  



If you're not familiar with my favorite blend, it's the Deluxe blend made by the National Audubon Society.  You might wonder what is so special about the National Audubon Society's blend or maybe you think I'm just paying for the name.  But, I can assure you it's worth it to pay a little more for this bird seed!  There are a lot less filler seeds that a lot of companies put in their blends. The birds just chunk this filler seed out of the feeders and onto the ground making a mess. I purchased a bag of the "Garden Treasures" brand one time and I won't buy that again! It sat in my feeders for quite some time....the birds did not like it! I went back to the Audubon Society and the birds couldn't get enough!

Speaking of water, it's always good to provide a water source in your yard. I have a bird bath but it's frozen right now. I'm adding a heated bird bath to my 'Ta-Da List'! 


Today, I caught a male American Goldfinch fledgling at my feeder.  The males are a brilliant yellow and shiny black in the summer months but in the winter months they molt. Molt is the process of feather replacement. In the spring they will transform into a bright yellow plumage. The new harvest cherry seed blend does include the Nyger seed which attracts gold finches.  I don't think the deluxe blend has nyger seed. I was quite excited to see the golf finch today!







I'm looking forward to 2018!
I have a lot planned for this year including some giveaways!

Get your yards and feeders ready!

Be sure to share your stories 
share my blog!

Don't forget.....
"There's nothing sweeter than a feeder!"

❤❤❤❤❤




No comments: